Monday, February 2, 2009

Parenting books

I love reading a good parenting book-A GOOD parenting book. In our current society which can be pretty UN baby/child-friendly it's always nice to read a book which sits well with your own goals and ideals on parenting. Especially if you are having a hard week and struggling with the whole thing it's nice to reaffirm what it is you are doing and why.
Here are a list of my favorites.
-Heart to Heart Parenting by Robin Grille. This book is probably the best in my opinion. Not only does it give heaps of good info and advice but it is the most "real" parenting book I've read. His other book Parenting For a Peaceful World is a definite must read too.
-Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. More textbook style but I like his theory. Love his outlook on punishment and rewards and why they suck!
-Connection Parenting by Pam Leo. Aimed at older more verbal kids- Along the lines of Non-Violent Communication.
-Helping Your Baby To Sleep by Anni Gethin and Beth Macgregor. A great book to give a realistic idea of how much babies actually sleep and why responding to them is necessary. Very anti sleep training and routine. Good reassurance!

I have just finished reading Naomi Aldort's Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves. I thought her book was excellent but wow-a lot of things to think about. Her style of parenting would be hard without support from extended family/community because it is very child led. I don't think this is a bad thing, in fact I thought her ideas were fantastic and plan to re read the book and use her advice. But it requires a lot of patience and and understanding of where the child is coming from as well as allowing them a lot of autonomy. Far from impossible-and I guess what you put in you get out. Might be tough!

So there is my short list of books that are great-im my humble opinion! I could add some breastfeeding, birthing and vaccination type books but we'll stick to parenting for now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails