Sunday, May 31, 2009

old habits

We got a new TV.A fancy hand me down TV. Not an enourmous plasma or anything but it's pretty massive since we had no TV for about a year(just a tiny portable DVD player) and then we had a small hand me down TV which looked like the "second TV". Our last TV used to live in the cupboard and be taken out sometimes, then it moved into the spare room just for DVD's and then as I neared the end of my pregnancy it made it's way into the lounge room-plugged in to the channels and everything. Now we have a pretty large TV in the lounge room all connected to a DVD, channels and a video player.

It really is like a drug.

At first you only watch a little, then a little more and a little more and before you know it you know the names of most of the contestants on Masterchef and the kids are hanging out for 3pm so you can put ABC kids on.

I don't like it.

I get the whole idea that a little TV isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know that in this modern time where we have no "tribe" to help with the parenting that the telly sometimes fills that void and takes the place of a babysitter. But I'm not really OK with it.

It feels wrong every time I plug the kids in-no matter how much I'm dying for some space. It does, however, work and buys me some time where I can just be or feed Harper without distraction.

So what to do?? Do I just switch off or limit? Do I accept that I have adopted a TV as a member of my parenting tribe?

Something to think about...


Stitch Sista said...

For me, I'm the same as you - I don't like it, but it buys me space and time.

The thing that keeps me reasonably unconcerned is that next year F will be at school -there will be no tv in the morning, and a very limited amount if any (I suspect) in the arvo so it will resolve itself.

But I guess if you're homeschooling you might not have that excuse!

Everything in balance. Relatively speaking my kids don't watch a lot. More than I'd like, but probably not too much for them in the context of their lives (as they are busy doing many other things too)

katef - said...

I think it depends why you don't like TV. For me I worry about the messages it sends... so I don't mind a little quality kids TV now and then as part of our balance. I am massivly oposed to kids watching commercial TV (because of the commercials) and man our balance has tipped wildly in favour of 'girls should be princesses' of late which I am still trying to wrap my head around.

But a little well rounded playschool or the odd zoo documentary doesn't bother me at all.

Stitch Sista said...

And I totally agree with Katef. I think content as much as the amount is the real issue...

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources
back to your webpage? My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from some of the
information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you.

my weblog - Graduate Certificate online

Anonymous said...

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with
the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is
rare to see a great blog like this one these days.

Also visit my web page -

Anonymous said...

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how regarding unexpected emotions.

My page -

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to say to my little brother, that he should also go to see this webpage on regular basis to take updated from newest gossip.

Have a look at my blog - men'S watches

Anonymous said...

It's very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this web page.

My site :: women's armitron watches

Anonymous said...

What i don't understood is in reality how you're not really much more neatly-favored than you might be right now.
You are very intelligent. You recognize thus significantly
when it comes to this matter, produced me in my view imagine it from numerous various angles.

Its like men and women aren't interested except it is something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. All the time handle it up!

My homepage: mens relic watches

Anonymous said...

Appreciating the hard work you put into your blog and detailed information you present.
It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same unwanted rehashed information.
Fantastic read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including your RSS
feeds to my Google account.

Check out my web-site :: vestal watches

Anonymous said...

This post provides clear idea for the new viewers of blogging,
that really how to do blogging.

my blog post :: akribos xxiv

Anonymous said...

Hey I am so excited I found your site, I really found you
by mistake, while I was researching on Digg for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a marvelous post and a
all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it
all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have
time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic

My webpage http://www.comodescargar.Com/wiki/index.php?Title=usuario:melvinsan

Anonymous said...

It's actually a nice and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Look at my web-site: vestal watches for Women

Anonymous said...

What's up mates, fastidious piece of writing and good urging commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.

Visit my web site :: watches

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through
Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am
going to watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Feel free to visit my page - how to start a home business

Anonymous said...

Can I simply just say what a comfort to find somebody who really understands what
they're discussing on the internet. You certainly know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people should look at this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you are not more popular since you definitely possess the gift.

Look at my weblog ::

Anonymous said...

We absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of
your post's to be exactly I'm looking for. Does one offer
guest writers to write content for you personally? I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome weblog!

Here is my web site; Akribos Xxiv

Anonymous said...

Genuinely no matter if someone doesn't be aware of then its up to other people that they will help, so here it takes place.

Feel free to surf to my webpage; breville juice fountain

Anonymous said...

Hi would you mind letting me know which web host you're working with? I've
loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must
say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you
suggest a good web hosting provider at a reasonable price?
Cheers, I appreciate it!

Feel free to visit my web site ... faraday flashlights

Anonymous said...

Quality posts is the secret to interest the viewers to pay a visit the
site, that's what this web page is providing.

My web blog “eat your fruits and vegetables”. now

Anonymous said...

Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did
you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make
my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme.
Thanks a lot

my weblog - tv buzz

Anonymous said...

If some one wants to be updated with hottest technologies
after that he must be visit this web page and be up to date everyday.

Visit my homepage juice recipes

Related Posts with Thumbnails