Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Feeling tiny

Sometimes the state of the planet and where it's going makes me feel so tiny and insignificant.
I feel like it doesn't matter what my contribution is and no matter how hard I try to live lightly on the earth it's not ever going to be enough. And it's true.

Too many people on the planet are still in hyper consume mode, too many people don't think about where their food comes from but most importantly-too many people just don't care.
And there is so much to think about! Recycling, plastics,topsoil, ethical farming, conscious consumption, frugal living, organics, fossil fuel, food miles, saving water, saving energy, saving endangered species, saving the forest, toxic food, toxic toys, toxic lifestyles and on and on and on.

It all seems too much-and hardly within my league to be of any difference. It seems overwhelming and makes me sad.

Maybe in my lifetime but certainly in the lifetime of my precious children life as we know it will change on this planet. We are going to start to run out of things that keep us in the lifestyle in which we are accustomed to leading. All the "stuff" we have in our homes is going to mean jack shit if we are paying $50 a kilo for potatoes and petrol is too expensive for most of us to buy. Life will change and it will be scary times to start with.

I guess I have to keep trying to "be the change I wish to see in the world".

1 comment:

Elflyn said...

Too true Shae,
but we keep trying for our own and all the other precious children.
Your words are so thought-provoking. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails