Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reconnecting

I've noticed that I've been feeling a bit short with the kids lately and fairly closed to them. We've had a fair bit on and I'm getting back into the swing of Luke's shift change at work-not to mention the upcoming holiday! I thought some time together was in order so I knocked back some plans and we hung out all afternoon.

It was just what we all needed.

I put up the screen house and we pretended we were camping

Photobucket

We hung out there most of the afternoon. Tannah made us a picnic, they gave some teddies "tattoos" and there was a lot of play with their new Toy Story Woody and Jesse dolls. And I listened, completely. And I watched. And I joined in. We laughed, ran, tickled, danced, sang, rested and talked for ages. It was lovely.

We decided it might be fun to make an outdoor cinema so we could watch a movie (Toy Story 3-Tans and Willow are really really into these films at the moment!)so I got the laptop and made the ground all cozy and we watched a movie together. Complete with popcorn.

Photobucket

After we bought everything inside I suggested we might go for a drive to see some xmas lights. That was fun too and the smallest and biggest children fell asleep on the way home. I carried them into their beds and read the middle child a story and tucked her in too.

I've been thinking about how I'm often too busy for the kids. Or I reject their invitations to get involved or help them out too often. And I have been feeling like it's a pain in the butt to help too-which I'm sure shows. I've probably put more energy into resisting and redirecting than going with the flow and getting involved. These beautiful creatures who are my children are the ones who teach me where the joy is each time, and for that I'm grateful.

This afternoon it was s lovely to hang out and reconnect-and realize that it was so easy and nourishing for me too.

1 comment:

Missy Boo said...

I think I need to take a leaf out of your book. It sounds like lots of fun at your house :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails