Monday, February 14, 2011

Be kind to yourself

I've been having a pretty rough time with Harper lately. She's getting teeth and is more grumpy and out of sorts than usual. When she is being, for lack of a better word-a shit, I try and remind myself that she is having it rough too, not getting as much sleep as she'd like and feeling a bit miserable. Point is I cut her some slack and try to take it extra slow to react. It doesn't always work and I have been cross with her on more than a few occasions. It's not my plan to get mad or irritated but when my reserves are down and I'm having the same conversation for the billionth time with a baby who is just about to turn two I'm not at my best.

It got me thinking about how we can be so hard on ourselves as parents. How we are quick to give our kids a break in less than optimal circumstances and just as quick to let ourselves drown in Mama guilt for not being the parent we want to be 100% of the time. This can be a slippery slope to using having a shit day as an excuse to be cranky and taking it out on the kids. I am suggesting however, that we be kind to ourselves as parents.

I strive to be Queen Of My Home and hold the space for my kids. It's hard work and sometimes it has me feeling overwhelmed. While I am blessed with an amazing husband who is such a partner in parenting he is at work often and I am the main care provider for our girls. I'm the one who deals with all of the nighttime parenting, all of the bedtime stuff and most of the daily upsets and frustrations of our daughters. And some days, as hard as I try, I have nothing left to give except short answers and unhelpful remarks. Sometimes it's me crying as well as the kids. Life is not all sunshine and happy faces.

So I'm making a pledge to myself. After I reconnect with my children after losing my "crown" I'm going to take a moment and be kind to myself, cut myself some slack and remind myself that I'm doing the best that I can.

I hope that you will too.

1 comment:

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Doing our best is always enough and our best is different day to day x

Related Posts with Thumbnails