Sunday, May 8, 2011

To my Mum

Photobucket
Mum with me 1979

Dear Mum,

Here are a few things I want to thank you for.

-for my name! I've always loved it.

-for all those books you read and re-read (can I get a Green eggs and ham?) which has inspired my life long love of the written word

-for dressing me cute, though I'm still unhappy about the gross overuse of bowl hair cuts and socks with sandals
Photobucket

-for driving me to netball, swimming, brownies, drama etc etc and for listening to me strangle a cat-aka play the clarinet badly.

-for choosing to stay home though it meant a big financial sacrifice to you (and Dad!) I always loved having you there.

-for being outwardly cool when I went through my heavy metal phase.

-for not kicking me out when I called you "the world's biggest mole of a mother" when I was 15

-for trusting that I was big enough to live away from home when I was 17

-for coming down to Melbourne look after me for 2 weeks after Tannah was born. I'm not sure you know how much it meant to me or how much it helped.

-the time Harper was in hospital and you asked if I wanted you there and I knew you would make it happen if I did.

-for making me laugh


But there are some things I'm NOT grateful for...

-the time you sang Rage Against the Machine "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" out the window at full volume out the front of high school when I suggested that you might be too embarrassing to pick me up from the front gate

-introducing me to cooking magazines and shop bought coffee

-my arachnophobia. I blame you entirely.

Photobucket

But mostly I wanted to say I love you and I'm glad out of all the Mums you are mine. I know we've had disagreements over the years but they've always been resolved-and I publicly apologize for the "biggest mole of a mother" remark and most of the things I said as a teenager-including the eye rolls.

And now that I have kids of my own I know that when you have said or done things that I have found hurtful in the past it's because we don't, as mothers, always have the answers or even know what the hell we are doing at times. As Tannah is my "practice child" I know that I am yours. And I don't hold a grudge ;)

Happy Mothers day Mum!

6 comments:

Caz (The Truth About Mummy) said...

Oh that's fabulous!! Love the pic of you sitting on your mum's knee!! Lovely post!

Deborah said...

So lovely. Mums are ace - they really would drop everything to come and help you if you needed it. Special. xxx Happy Mother's Day to you Shae.

Emma said...

Socks and sandals, how I hated them.. glad I wasn't the only one. And I had the same haircut!

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

beautiful. Just beautiful.

x

Kate said...

Gorgeous post... your Mum rocks! That must be where you get it from :)

Glowless @ Where's My Glow said...

PMSL @ the Rage Against The Machine bit :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails