Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Parenting when you wre unwell

I'm sick. I have the flu, not just a cold but the flu. Yesterday I told my husband I was going to have a "nap" and I woke up almost 5 hours later. I've been feverish, had terrible sinus pressure, a sore throat and am as weak as a kitten. I'm lucky that Luke gets carers days and he took one yesterday but her has to go back to work today and I don't have any grandparents available (my parents live in another state and Luke's work pretty much full time) so I'm on my own.

It's a situation I've been in before so I thought I'd share some tips with you for being the parent when you are sick.

-Movies. Everyone knows the babysitting powers of the TV right? Try your local library or DVD hire place for something new and exciting. Bonus points if it's a family movie that you can curl up on the couch and enjoy as well.

Photobucket

-Art that is easy to clean up. My kids are massive fans of art in all its forms but it gets pretty messy. Our art cupboard has a lock so I get out the things that are easy for me to tidy up and pack away the messy stuff. Some examples of what I have out-
*whiteboard markers
*magna doodle
*stickers
*stencils
*paint brush pens
*colouring books
*plain and coloured paper
*placticine

-make a "Picky Platter" that the kids can graze off all day. Make sure water bottles are full and in an easy place that everyone can reach.

-If you are going to be on your own at dinnertime & if you can afford it, order dinner that can be delivered. Otherwise think eggs on toast and a smoothie.

-I always have a couple of toys in my secret stash for emergencies. Today I'll be pulling out a hot wheels raceway I picked up in a clearance bin about a month ago.

Photobucket

-Accept that the house will be messy. I usually do a couple of quick clean ups during the day which are not going to happen for a few days. Emptying and filling the dishwasher and clearing a path is about as far as it's going to get. Luke can do the rest when he is home.

-Explain to the kids that you are sick. They might only need to be reminded that you need help and that you won't be taking them to the park if they get a heads up first. They might just surprise you with their empathy.

-Help yourself. Drink lots. Take vitamin C and any other natural immunity builders you can find. If you are not breastfeeding take cold and flu tablets to ease your symptoms. Rest as much as possible. Call your Mum and get a virtual "ooh there there" from her.


There might be more tips but my brain is all fuzzy from the cold and flu tablets. I'd like to know more tips so tell me, so what sre your tips for coping with being the parent when you are unwell?

8 comments:

Veronica said...

I think you covered most things! When Amy was little and we were living in a different house, I had good luck with locking us into a bedroom with the TV, so that at the end of the day, I only had one room really messy.

tiff(threeringcircus) said...

We usually all get the flu at once. The last time was awful and I feel for you being sick with littlies and on your own. We use the tv big time, pull out mattresses and blankets and build nests to snuggle in. You covered everything I would do and more. My only other thing would be to switch off the phone or keep it close so I didn't have to get up too often. Hope you feel better soon.

Kate said...

Poor bugger, hope you are on the improve very quickly!!

Camilleta said...

Great ideas! My favorite is Netflix. I used it a lot when I was really sick for a month. My daughter practically learned Spanish, she watched so much Dora. They have a ton of instant viewing shows and movies and we pay like $8 a month. =) That and I set up camp on the couch near the kitchen so I could get us drinks and food more easily. I had all the children's books piled next to me so she could cuddle with me and I could read to her too.

Leah - Bogue Living said...

Great list Shae!

A good way to entertain them for a bit is to get them to nurse you for awhile. Audrey loves nothing better than setting me up a bed on the couch, arranging pillows and blankets, getting me a drink, doing my hair and giving me a massage. Win/win, unless of course the bone ache is too bad to enjoy it!

Deborah said...

I can't believe you put together such a great list whilst feeling unwell. Hats off to you. And big hugs too. Hope you feel better soon. xxx

Kate @ Puddles and Gumboots said...

It's awful being sick as a Mum, because you still have to soldier on to a degree. What a great list of coping strategies! Hope you feel better soon!

inner pickle said...

You are totally on the money here! And I hope you're feeling better. Man it SUCKS being sick and a mama. Hope the echinacea is kicking in, poor you xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails